Nothing says backyard barbecue like perfectly charred steaks, fresh chopped salad, and mosquito attacks. It's only natural to have to fend off mosquitoes while trying to enjoy your time outside, right? If this is what you were raised to believe, we have some good news for you. Mosquitoes don't have to be a part of your outdoor gatherings. Here are a few secrets you should know to help keep frustrating mosquitoes off your College Station property.
Problems Mosquitoes Cause
You are well aware that mosquitoes are annoying pests. Their initial bite leaves a stinging sensation behind and eventually turns into a mild to sharp itch. If you have type O or type A blood, workout outside during dawn or dusk, or live near a swamp or marshland, you will likely have extra trouble with these painful blood-feeders.
Mosquitoes are not just annoying; they are also incredibly dangerous and considered the most dangerous creatures on the planet. Mosquitoes are directly responsible for over one million human fatalities each year. The majority of these deaths occur in foreign countries where access to quality health care is limited, and disease runs rampant. Here in The States, your chances of contracting a mosquito-borne disease are considerably less, but never zero.
Prevention Tips For Mosquitoes
There are two different sides to mosquito prevention, self-protection, and population control. Here are some tips our experts recommend to minimize your exposure to dangerous mosquitoes.
Many things increase a person's chance of being bitten by a mosquito. Here are some ways to mitigate your risk of potentially dangerous bites:
- Mosquitoes hate certain smells. Before you go outside where you expect there will be mosquitoes, apply insect repellent over your body, especially around areas of exposed skin.
- Carbon dioxide and heat attract mosquitoes. For this reason, avoid working out outside.
- Mosquitoes are most active during the beginning and end of the day. To avoid swarms of these pests, stay inside during dawn and dusk.
- There are good flyers, and then there are mosquitoes. Install fans around outdoor lounging areas to deter these pests from landing and taking a bite.
- Mosquitoes rely heavily on silhouettes to hunt down their prey. Wear lighter colored clothing to become less visible.
- Where there is more standing water, there are more mosquitoes. Do your best to avoid marshlands and swamps for this reason.
Mosquitoes lay their eggs inside sources of stagnant water. To control populations of mosquitoes around your property, here are a few tips to try:
- Pour out rainwater that has collected around your property.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and not holding water.
- Change the water in ornate pools and birdbaths at least once every four days.
- If you have a pond, stock it with mosquitofish.
- Inform your neighbors about these steps so they can take precautions too.
The Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
There's an easy way or a hard way to prevent mosquitoes. The easy way is to hire a professional. At D. Lee Pest Services, we make pest prevention simple for the sake of our customers. All it takes is a few service visits a year. How are our services this easy? Well, for one, we only use industry-leading mosquito misters and advanced exclusion tactics. Standing on a foundation of quality, timeliness, and excellence, our team is standing by and ready to handle any pest problems you or your College Station are up against.
Reach out to us today via phone or through our website to learn more about our quality home pest control and commercial pest control services, or to schedule a mosquito treatment for your College Station property.